Professor Masao Takata MD PhD FRCA
Magill Chair in Anaesthetics
Head, Section of Anaesthetics, Pain Medicine & Intensive Care, Imperial College London
Phone: 020 3315 8816
Address: Academic Anaesthetics, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, 369 Fulham Road, London SW10 9NH
Research type: Basic science, clinical translational science
Research Interests: Acute lung injury/ARDS, sepsis-associated organ injury, trauma and burns injury, Innate immune function in perioperative and critical care
Key Techniques: In vivo animal models, in vitro cell culture, ex vivo isolated perfused organs, clinical patient studies, combined physiological and immunological approach, flow cytometry
Keywords: ALI/ARDS, ventilator induced lung injury, TNF signalling, monocyte function, microvesicles research
Funding: Have been funded by Wellcome Trust, MRC, BBSRC, British Lung Foundation, Chelsea & Westminster Health Charity, GSK etc.
- Wakabayashi K, Wilson MR, Tatham KC, O’Dea KP, Takata M. Volutrauma, but not atelectrauma, induces systemic cytokine production by lung-marginated monocytes. Crit Care Med. 2014 Jan;42(1):e49-57.
- Patel BV, Wilson MR, O’Dea KP, Takata M. TNF-induced death signaling triggers alveolar epithelial dysfunction in acute lung injury. J Immunol. 2013 Apr;190(8):4274-82..
- Patel BV, Wilson MR, Takata M. Resolution of acute lung injury and inflammation – a translational mouse model. Eur Respir J. 2012 May;39(5):1162-70.
- Bertok S, Wilson MR, Morley PJ, de Wildt R, Bayliffe A, Takata M. Selective inhibition of intra-alveolar p55 TNF receptor attenuates ventilator-induced lung injury. Thorax. 2012 Mar;67(3):244-51.
- O’Dea KP, Dokpesi JO, Tatham KC, Wilson MR, Takata M. Regulation of monocyte subset proinflammatory responses within the lung microvasculature by the p38 MAPK/MK2 pathway. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2011 Nov;301(5):L812-21.
- Scott AJ, O’Dea KP, O’Callaghan D, Williams L, Dokpesi JO, Tatton L, Handy JM, Hogg PJ, Takata M. Reactive oxygen species and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase mediate tumor necrosis factor α-converting enzyme (TACE/ADAM-17) activation in primary human monocytes. J Biol Chem. 2011 Oct;286(41):35466-76.
- Wilson MR, O’Dea KP, Zhang D, Shearman AD, van Rooijen N, Takata M. Role of lung-marginated monocytes in an in vivo mouse model of ventilator-induced lung injury. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009 May;179(10):914-22.
- O’Dea KP, Wilson MR, Dokpesi JO, Wakabayashi K, Tatton L, van Rooijen N, Takata M. Mobilization and margination of bone marrow Gr-1high monocytes during subclinical endotoxemia predisposes the lungs toward acute injury. J Immunol. 2009 Jan;182(2):1155-66.
- Wilson MR, Goddard ME, O’Dea KP, Choudhury S, Takata M. Differential roles of p55 and p75 tumor necrosis factor receptors on stretch-induced pulmonary edema in mice. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2007 Jul;293(1):L60-8.
- O’Dea KP, Young AJ, Yamamoto H, Robotham JL, Brennan FM, Takata M. Lung-marginated monocytes modulate pulmonary microvascular injury during early endotoxemia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005 Nov;172(9):1119-27.