MBBS, MD, PhD, FRCP, FRCA, FFICM, FMedSci
Professor & Head, Division of Anaesthesia, University of Cambridge
Honorary Consultant, Neurosciences Critical Care Unit, Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge.
Box 93, Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge CB2 2QQ, UK
Phone: +44 1223 217889
Research type: Experimental Medicine, Precision Medicine, Comparative Effectiveness Research
Research Interests: Neurocritical care, secondary brain injury, neuroinflammation, and metabolic imaging of acute brain injury, functional imaging, consciousness and its disorders (VS, MCS), genetics of pain.
Key techniques: MRI, MRS, PET, multimodality CNS monitoring, genotype-phenotype associations
Keywords: Traumatic Brain Injury, Acute Brain Injury, Positron Emission Tomography, Magnetic Resonance imaging and spectroscopy, functional imaging, consciousness, vegetative state, disorders of consciousness
Funding: EU Framework Program 7, National Institute for Health Research, Medical Research Council, Wellcome Trust
Ongoing Clinical Studies: CENTER-TBI
- Menon DK, Baudouin C, Tomlinson D, Hoyle C. Proton Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy and Imaging of the Brain in Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. J Comput Assist Tomogr 1990; 14:882-7.
- Menon DK, Owen AM, Williams EJ, et al. Cortical processing in persistent vegetative state. Lancet 1998; 352: 200.
- Coles JP, Fryer TD, Smielewski P, Chatfield DA, Steiner LA, Johnston AJ, Downey SP, Williams GB, Aigbirhio F, Hutchinson PJ, Rice K, Carpenter TA, Clark JC, Pickard JD, Menon DK. Incidence and mechanisms of cerebral ischemia in early clinical head injury. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 2004; 24:202-1
- Menon DK, Coles JP, Gupta AK, Fryer TD, Smielewski P, Chatfield DA, Aigbirhio F, Skepper JN, Minhas PS, Hutchinson PJ, Carpenter TA, Clark JC, Pickard JD. Diffusion limited oxygen delivery following head injury. Crit Care Med 2004;32:1384-90.
- Cunningham AS, Salvador R, Coles JP, Chatfield DA, Bradley PG, Johnston AJ, Steiner LA, Fryer TD, Aigbirhio FI, Smielewski P, Williams GB, Carpenter TA, Gillard JH, Pickard JD, Menon DK. Physiological thresholds for irreversible tissue damage in contusional regions following traumatic brain injury. Brain 2005;128:1931-42
- Davis MH, Coleman MR, Absalom AR, Rodd JM, Johnsrude IS, Matta BF, Owen AM, Menon DK. Dissociating speech perception and comprehension at reduced levels of awareness. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2007;104:16032-7.
- Nortje J, Coles JP, Timofeev I, Fryer TD, Aigbirhio FI, Smielewski P, Outtrim JG, Chatfield DA, Pickard JD, Hutchinson PJA, Gupta AK, Menon DK. Effect of hyperoxia on regional oxygenation and metabolism following severe traumatic brain injury – preliminary findings. Critical Care Medicine 2008; 36:273-81
- Rowan KM, Harrison DA, Walsh TS, McAuley DF, Perkins GD, Taylor BL, Menon DK. The Swine Flu Triage (SwiFT) study: development and ongoing refinement of a triage tool to provide regular information to guide immediate policy and practice for the use of critical care services during the H1N1 swine influenza pandemic. Health Technol Assess 2010; 14: 335-492..
- Newcombe VF, Outtrim JG, Chatfield DA, Manktelow A, Hutchinson PJ, Coles JP, Williams GB, Sahakian BJ, Menon DK. Parcellating the neuroanatomical basis of impaired decision-making in traumatic brain injury. Brain 2011;134:759-68.
- Harrison DA, Prabhu G, Grieve R, Harvey SE, Sadique MZ, Gomes M, Griggs KA, Walmsley E, Smith M, Yeoman P, Lecky FE, Hutchinson PJ, Menon DK, Rowan KM. Risk Adjustment In Neurocritical care (RAIN)–prospective validation of risk prediction models for adult patients with acute traumatic brain injury to use to evaluate the optimum location and comparative costs of neurocritical care: a cohort study. Health Technol Assess 2013; 17(23):vii-viii, 1-350.
- Adapa RM, Davis MH, Stamatakis EA, Absalom AR, Menon DK. Neural correlates of successful semantic processing during propofol sedation. Hum Brain Mapp. 2013 Oct 18. doi: 10.1002/hbm.22375. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 24142410.