Prof Danny McAuley
Professor of Intensive Care Medicine
Queen’s University, Belfast
Address: Room 01/017, Health Sciences Building, 97 Lisburn Road, Belfast, BT9 7AE
Region: N Ireland
Research type: basic science, translational, clinical trials, health services
Research Interests: ARDS, clinical trials
Key Techniques: Variety of in vitro and in vivo laboratory techniques, human models of ARDS, phase 2 and 3 clinical trials
Keywords: ARDS, mesenchymal stem cells, pharmacological therapies
Funding: MRC, NIHR, NI HSC R&D Division,Technology Strategy Board
- UK: Prof John Simpson, Prof Gavin Perkins, Dr Mark Griffiths, Dr David Thickett
- International: Prof Michael Matthay
- Proteolytic cleavage of elafin by 20S proteasome may contribute to inflammation in acute lung injury (2013). Kerrin A Weldon S Chung AH Craig T Simpsom AJ Levine RL O’Kane C McAuley DF Taggart CC. Thorax 68:315-21.
- Clinical grade allogeneic human mesenchymal stem cells restore alveolar fluid clearance in human lungs rejected for transplantation. McAuley DF Curley GF Hamid UI Laffey JG Abbott J McKenna DH Fang X Matthay MA Lee JW. American Journal of Physiology. Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology (in press).
- KGF promotes epithelial survival and resolution in a human model of lung injury. Shyamsundar M McAuley DF Ingram RJ Gibson DS O’Kane D McKeown ST Edwards A Taggart CC Elborn JS Calfee C Matthay MA O’Kane C. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care (in press).
- Effect of simvastatin on physiological and biological outcomes in patients undergoing oesophagectomy: a randomised placebo controlled trial (2014). Shyamsundar M McAuley DF Shields MO MacSweeney R Duffy MJ Johnston JR McGuigan J Backman JT Calfee CS Matthay MA Griffiths MJ Elborn JS O’Kane CM. Annals of Surgery 259:26–31.
- Keratinocyte growth factor in Acute lung injury to Reduce pulmonary dysfunction – a randomised placebo controlled trial (KARE): study protocol for a randomised controlled trial (2013). Cross LJM O’Kane CM McDowell C Elborn JS Matthay MA McAuley DF. Trials 14:51.
- Hydroxymethylglutaryl-CoA reductase inhibition with simvastatin in Acute lung injury to Reduce Pulmonary dysfunction (HARP-2) trial: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial (2012). McAuley DF Laffey JG O’Kane CM Cross M Perkins GD Murphy L McNally C Crealey G Stevenson M and the HARP-2 investigators on behalf of the Irish Critical Care Trials Group. Trials 13:170.
- How outcomes are defined in clinical trials of mechanically ventilated adults and children. Blackwood B Clarke M McAuley DF McGuigan PJ Marshall J Rose L. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care (in press).